Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Sharing An Older Piece-- "Alex"

I read this poem at the Queer reading at the Atlanta-Fulton County Library over the summer. It's actually part of a series; however, I think it stands alone.

ALEX

In your car we listened
to a Christian rock station.
I was surprised that you
sang along to every song.
I cracked a Christian joke
only for you to scold me.
You told me about your
strict upbringing,
Wednesdays and Sundays
in church. Two days
a week over the years
led you to believe you
were wrong to be
attracted to men.

You told me of the household
in which you were raised.
A no nonsense mother
with a middle ground father--
how they raised you to be polite,
respect others, have morals--
be as you said,
"a good person overall."

What went wrong?
Do you think your mother
saw past death to see
you invite your co-worker's
husband over for a game
of fuck the boy?
Did she cry in her grave
at her lessons lost when
you had him over each morning
taking a bit of him inside you
only to sit beside his wife
and smile, and ask,
"How are you enjoying your day?”

(05-15-06)

No comments: