Friday, January 2, 2009

WHY DO I WRITE ~ Didi Menendez

WHY DO I WRITE ~ Didi Menendez




I write because I am losing my mind. Seriously.

I want to make sure that when my mind is gone, my children will have something that will express my point of view, my sentiments, my sense of history. Yes, especially my history since I am the voice of a generation that was displaced. A generation that was taught to love a country that they did not live in, die for, decide the outcome of the government in. To love a four letter word. Cuba.

Then again, I also write in other voices that come to me in the middle of the night. Voices that remember love. Love sometimes writes for me.

I also write because I cannot teach what I preach unless I practice it.

In other words, I can not call myself a Poetry editor unless I have been there, done that.

I cannot call myself an artist unless I have painted.

I do however, call myself a publisher because I am.

That is the one exception.

So there.

3 comments:

Glenn Ingersoll said...

I think eat each peach as though it were teaching you to eat it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rethabile said...

The next natural question would be, Why do you paint poets?