Sunday, August 23, 2009

WHY DO I WRITE ~ Arisa White

WHY DO I WRITE ~ Arisa White

Photo by Sven Wiederholt


I write because I'm trying to love others and myself.

It is a way of getting to.

It's an opportunity to try on humanity, from varying points of view. If I can write from the perspective of the murdered and murderer, I can discover in myself something I did not know.

To get to a place where I am not ashamed of my secrets.

To not judge.

It's how I keep myself sane and honest. Growing up with six other siblings, a mother who chose abusive boyfriends as partners, I needed a space to breathe, to remind myself that I had a voice that could be listened to, even if it was only by me. And despite the lies my mother told herself and us to permit and excuse such violence in our home, writing allowed me my own truth.

Writing is raising the silenced and inaudible voices to heard.

I've chosen poetry to help me navigate the questions I ask about people and the things people do, and the systems that we create to keep people doing the same, often, unhealthy things they do.

I can't let things go: I like the challenge of finding the words to remake the moment again. The constant translation of events, situations, and emotions keep my brain turned-on.

I like to be turned-on.

It is truly, the times when I feel safe. Free to take risk, to emote, and to be led by imagination without fear.

Sometimes, I need a knife, a lover, a priest, a compass, and the poem offers direction, listens, loves, and stabs.

It allows me to not be while still being. When you walk in the world as black, woman, queer, poor, and the such, you get read before you reveal who you are. And sometimes, there is no space to learn who you are without being constantly challenged by assumptions, stereotypes, and expectations to perform or produce in a certain way because of those social identities. So writing is restorative, recuperative and permits me to ask myself vulnerable questions about my own who-ness and humanness.

I love it.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful response. I found myself nodding in agreement... this writer was speaking from my soul.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and true post.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Kelly O'Neal Thompson said...

I see you Arisa and, through your words, my self. Thank you.

Unknown said...

How could a person sees one self in the mirror and Tells THE MAN IN THE MIRROR...HERE IS THE EXAMPLE. WELL DONE A TRUE STORY STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART.

Unknown said...

Writing is raising the silenced and inaudible voices to heard.

CAN THE ABOVE SENTENCE BE CORRECTED?

Writing is raising the silenced and inaudible voices to be heard.

Grooveparties said...

I love your photos...very nice..

TheUndertaker said...

Great words, so true and straight from the heart into another. Straight shooting arrows. I like it. Especially the line that you get read before you reveal who you are. How true.
Keep them arrows coming!

Herve Leger said...

Are you always vexed about wearing Herve Leger what kind of dress at a banquet?
Herve Leger bandage dress online store eliminates your worries.
Ladies who is beautiful and noble may choose Herve Leger bandage
dress.The dress highlights your perfect feminine body curve.
If you wear this dress, it will send Herve Leger Blog out your inherent glamour.
It is specially designed for you and meets your noble taste.
Wherever you go, you will be the focus. If you haven't a suitable
dress to attend a banquet and want to 2010 new style buy one now, Herve Leger bandage
dress online store is your best choice.

Christian Shoe said...

2010 winter 11 once again become new government, many new products Herve Leger sexy on the market has an old or use feeling, no matter whether it is true, it is the recycling it appeared. This theme tells us, clothing is becoming so that it becomes worth having.
This is the mainstream Hervelegerbandage of the winter clothes is wisdom and neuter and atmospheric style of clothes. Popular black, white, brown, gray, white, metal and candy color ~ ~

Lisa Nanette Allender said...

Gorgeous and greatvwork, Dustin.

Unknown said...

Great info. I love all the posts, I really enjoyed, I would like more information about this, because it is very nice., Thanks for sharing.
Signature:
i like play games friv online and play games2girls Download baixar facebook

Unknown said...

I would like more information about this, because it is very nice., Thanks for sharing.
Signature:
Jugar juegos de frozen gratis en línea gratis, los nuevos de princesa de Disney juegos frozen - la princesa encantadora y linda. Divertirse frozen!

Friv4 said...

A safe place to play the very best free games.You need to kill time, you need entertainment. Refer to our website. hope you get the most comfort.
Thanks you for sharing!
Friv 4