Thursday, June 25, 2009

Farrah Fawcett & Michael Jackson & Everday Christian

Stonewall Week will now forever be linked to the deaths of Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. I know that Michael is a music legend; however, I'm more upset over the death of Farrah Fawcett. When I think of Farrah, I think of The Burning Bed, Extremities, Small Sacrifices, and of course Charlies Angels----- I watched all of them at some point during my childhood when I was home from school sick.

As an adult, Extremities has taken on a new meaning for me. Even though Farrah didn't have anything to do with the script, she is the actor who brought Extremities's Marjorie to life. Marjorie the avenger. Marjorie, my hero.

When I was on The Joe Milford Poetry Show, I read a poem that was inspired by Extremities. I think I'll post it later as a tribute to Farrah Fawcett.




I couldn't help but share this article from the EVERYDAY CHRISTIAN:

Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett put death into perspective
by: Peter Elliot

The death of Michael Jackson Thursday afternoon should be met with respect as much as it is, undoubtedly, with shock.

Growing up in the ‘80s, Michael Jackson was everywhere.

He ushered in the theatrics of music video and made it a popular form for musicians to communicate to their audiences. Today bands are trying to figure out the best way to present themselves through online media. Jackson pioneered a precursor nearly 30 years ago.

Like many people, I found out about Jackson’s death on Twitter minutes before it came across cable news sources. In so doing, a snapshot of the comments revealed genuine surprise and concern.

Unfortunately, a few people took the death as an opportunity to poke fun at the caricature Jackson had become both through his own doing and a relationship with paparazzi that redefined celebrity obsession.

Without a doubt, Jackson had more than his share of problems.

Even if you weren’t a fan and were completely turned off by the persistent rumors and allegations of pedophilia, someone is dead.

That is not a cause for celebration or comedy, nor should it be for another Hollywood icon, Farrah Fawcett who died earlier Thursday after a long fight with cancer.

The fact she died under much different circumstances and had a far less controversial past doesn’t change the fact someone has died and there are family and friends who mourn. That should always be taken into considerstion.


(Do you see Peter Elliot's sin in his last sentence?)

1 comment:

Lisa Nanette Allender said...

Wow, Dustin--you and I have a lot in common where Farrah Fawcett is concerned. I'm catching up on checking in at my FAVORITE BLOGS(you're certainly one! ;) ) and just read your tribute here. Sweet.
God Bless You, man.
Peace.
www.lisananetteallender.blogspot.com