Monday, November 5, 2007

Changing to the Other Side of the Fence

After eight years in retail pharmacy I pursued change and will be embracing it soon. I accepted a full time position with a 29-doctor medical practice in Atlanta. The practice has a position for a pharmacy technician on its clinical staff team. The tech fields calls from patients and pharmacies regarding prescriptions, meets with drug reps, stocks the sample closet, and assists the clinical staff in others if desired/as needed. With 29 doctors I have a feeling I will be quite busy with the calls regarding refills!

I was extremely nervous about my interview because it has been years since I've had to interview for a position. I guess I shouldn't have been nervous because it was a slam dunk. The interviewer told me that I impressed her with my medication knowledge and professional demeanor. (Yay for compliments!) But even so, I have already started studying the area this practices specializes in.

This position is all around better from what I am currently doing. I will have better hours. I'm maxed out at my current job at barely-decent pay rate, and I'm going to start out at a much better rate with room for raises at the new job. Also, there is no more worrying about if I'll be working holidays as the office is closed for 9 holidays throughout the year. Oh yes, this is going to be good for me.

I am not abandoning retail pharmacy all together. I plan to work a weekend or two each month. The extra money from the weekends will be good for me, and it will keep my drug knowledge up to date.

No comments: