Sunday, November 18, 2007

Grass Roots Institute Sale!

The first time I heard the name Aida Rentas was
at an Atlanta Pride Committee when we were
discussing and voting on male and female grand marshalls for the 2007 Atlanta Pride Parade. After hearing about Aida, I was surprised I had never of her before. I thought to myself, this woman sounds amazing! If you don't want to take my word for it, heck even if you do, I encourage you to click here to read here biography on the APC website.

I remember when I walked into Aida's Grass Roots Institute (GRI). (You can see a little bit of the store in my Dolly Night at GRI blog entry; you'll also see Aida strutting it as Dolly.) The store was packed with all kinds of art from floor to wall to ceiling-- paintings, pottery, photography, homemade soap & candles, and so much more. I couldn't help but feel at home and safe, which I am sure is how the children involved in Aida's program feel. Aida and I sat down and chatted about the work I wanted to do with her organization. I don't think I have ever had someone I just met keep me smiling and laughing for an entire lengthy conversation. Quickly I learned Aida is what I call a spit-fire-- fiesty....blunt...tells it like it is no matter what. I fell in love.

Anyway, I could write a book on the wonders of Aida, but I should get to the purpose of this post. GRI is moving locations. To help in the switching of locations Aida is having a huge sale. I stopped by Saturday to check out the sale and left with a few goodies. GRI will be open every day this week from 10am to 6pm, except for Thanksgiving. Schedule some time to visit GRI-- you'll probably find a little something-something for yourself or someone else.

Grass Roots Institute
593 Edgewood Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30312
(located by the Lighting Loft)

4 comments:

Collin Kelley said...

Where's the new location going to be?

Dustin Brookshire said...

CK,

She is moving to theIrwin Street Market (660 Irwin Street). It is on Irwin St. directly across from Studioplex. From what Aida has described to me it will be gorgeous. She wanted me to go see it on Saturday, but I didn't have enough time. She said she'll have double the space she has at her current location.

Collin Kelley said...

Irwin Street Market is right behind my apartment complex. Very cool space. I'll have to stop in and check it out.

Dustin Brookshire said...

CK,

She'll be in the new space starting Sunday, December 2, 2007.